In 2019, we were approached by a client who owned two different wholesale ecommerce web stores in USA and UK. SEO had already been performed on those websites which included plenty of links. However, the sites were not generating enough traffic. But they were ranking for terms that were informative and not revenue generating keywords.
This case study is focused on their newest eCommerce website, although we’ll cover the other stores as well.
We increased site traffic from 0 visitor per day to 400+ visitors per day, targeting wholesale terms and ultimately generating 7 figures sales a month.
The following steps were taken:
Setting up the website
We performed an in-depth audit of content, structure and links. We found that the sites were having 3 major issues:
1. Very little content was available
2. They were not properly optimized
3. Content was just the rewritten form of product descriptions from the official brand pages of products
In additional, Site SILO was poor which resulted in having a lot of canonical issues. This was due to Opencart (CMS) issues with structure. As a result, it was creating three different pages for each sub category without canonicals.
Setting up canonicals was tricky process. We embarked to set up the structure in a way that only pages which are optimized for ranking were getting indexed. Thereby, eliminating the wasted crawling budget on duplicate pages and lowering the loads on server.
Further, we we created different dynamic sitemaps as
- Products sitemap
- Category sitemap
- Brand pages sitemap
- Informational pages sitemap
- Blog sitemap
And added only those pages in sitemap which were optimized. In total, we removed hundreds of duplicate multiple URLs of each subcategory and brand pages in the sitemap.
Once we were done with site structure, canonicals and sitemaps. Next step was content optimization for categories and products.
We pushed and distributed the content for most important categories and brand pages.
We wrote fresh content on product pages, as previous content was mostly a minor rewrite of the manufacturer product descriptions from their official brand’s websites.
Further, we also executed a campaign for products reviews generation, so we can get rich snippets and authenticity of our store.
Executing Link Building
Highlighted from a competitor links audit, we found competitors on average had 300+ referring domains with plenty of 301 redirects and spammy PBNs.
Also found in the links audits, we identified a big gap in their link building, which was branding, which most of them were lacking.
So, in our campaign, we first focused mostly on branding and make Google realize that we are an established big brand with good social presence on all social platforms.
In first two months we executed branding with pillow links and monitored our SERP performance. The results were great. Our keywords started rising to the 3rd and 2nd page by the end of second month.
Later in 3rd month, we started out with manual Outreach to low OBL sites.
Doing manual outreach was a difficult task. But the results were worth the effort. A single authority link is carries significantly more impact than many High OBL (outbound/external links) aka low authority links.